Sunday, July 15, 2012

A Rocknroll Dance Strolls Home to Win Meadowlands Pace


After getting no racing room and interfered in many of the big stakes prepping for the Pace, A Rocknroll Dance takes the field wire-to-wire to win the $600,000 Meadowlands Pace.

Going off as the 9/2 third choice, A Rocknroll Dance and Allstar Legend (102-1) flew off the gate. A Rocknroll Dance was caught wide, but cleared the front. Allstar Legend sat second and Thinking Out Loud (2-1 favorite) got away third through a :26.4 opening quarter.
 
Down the backstretch, A Rocknroll Dance slew down the tempo. Thinking Out Loud was flushed first over, supplying cover to Pet Rock (17-1). A Rocknroll Dance paced by the half in :54.2 (:27.3). Getting a breather, A Rocknroll Dance was drawing off into the far turn. Thinking Out Loud was stalling first over and Pet Rock fanned off cover.

Into the stretch, A Rocknroll Dance drew off to a 2 length lead. Pet Rock was closing in between horses and Allstar Legend was closing up the rail. A Rocknroll Dance jogged to the finish to win in 1:48.1 (:26.4). 

“I was a little nervous because the weather’s been so hot, and my horse has been heading back and forth [to Ohio],” said Mulinix.  “We ship him home every week and make sure he gets green grass every day.
 
“I sold almost every horse I had, but I wanted to buy something before I retired,” he added.  “I’m 60 years old.  It’s a good think I had a partner on him.  I spent $15,000 on him, but I spent $18,000 on staking him.”

“Jim was not really happy that I was in the front, but I set that horse up the last couple of weeks and I knew he had a big mile in him tonight,” said Gingras. “I’m very pleased with the way he raced. My horse felt super.” 
 
“I wish my grandfather was here,” said Gingras, his eyes moistening. “He’s my number one fan and that’s who I was thinking about. It’s redemption [from finishing second in his first pace in 2004]. It was the race that got away from me. I really believed I had the best horse that day, and I didn’t drive him [well].  I was young and made a mistake. Tonight feels twice as good. We learn from each other and tonight was the night. It’s definitely the best night I’ve ever had.”

No comments:

Post a Comment